Rusty and I had the reading section. We also were the sponsors for the orange team. The theme for the camp was Love in ASEAN. People everywhere are caught up in the excitement of ASEAN becoming a reality in 2015 so we all have to help the students improve their English skills and learn facts about the other nine countries that will be part of the ASEAN family. Rusty and I have worked extra hours to help fellow teachers with their ASEAN projects so preparing reading materials about each country turned out to be quite easy. We have edited and recorded numerous informative readings about each of the member nations; I probably could have written the articles for our activity without any further research. But I still did more research, and now I want to go visit most of them!
We were outside under the trees working at outdoor tables which turned out to be a good blessing. Students were able to work with their partners looking for fun facts and learn new vocabulary words about each of the countries.
In the afternoon we had two hours to get ready for the Mr. and Miss English contest as well as the skit and cheer competitions. Our team representatives are on the left in the above picture--Mr. Singapore and Miss Viet Nam. They did a good job although we didn't know when they entered the Mr. contest that that would remove them from our skit and cheer teams, but our team did a great job overcoming the loss of our two best English speakers. We didn't know they couldn't participate with us so they had major parts in the skit and had to have substitutes at the last minute.
Our team did a great job even though we didn't win the overall competition. I still think we were robbed! Of course I'm a bit partial. After all, they're my kids. I know we had the best cheer, and our kids did all of the work on their skit themselves from choosing which story to act out to what actions and what props they were going to use. They took the materials provided for stage props and did a great job. We'll get 'em next year!
No comments:
Post a Comment