News, one of Rusty's students has a side business where he sells traditional Thai popsicles. We thought it would be good for his business and give us an opportunity to do something fun for our students if we joined forces to provide popsicles for the kids.
By the last batch I took over the shaking. I think it was hard work making 480 popsicles. All of Rusty's university students showed up to help.
Even though it was for the kids, the kids had no problem jumping in and helping. They would have made all of them by themselves. Working together is part of community.
In my evening class we worked on making Thanksgiving pumpkins. Each strip has something the student is thankful for. We're still working on our thankful thoughts. Some of the answers we get are very interesting.
On Thanksgiving day we had a fall party with our students. The kids are good at entertaining themselves until we get everything ready. They all enjoyed working together to put this puzzle together.
Finally! We're ready to eat our roasted hot dogs.
Our hot dog roast included s'mores. We used some British digestive cookies that had a chocolate coating on one side. They work well for s'mores, but the students didn't really get into eating them as a cookie sandwich.
But they did enjoy eating the roasted marshmallows. We finally have reasonably priced marshmallows at the supermarkets here, and they worked great for roasting! We had some professional marshmallow roasters. Once they got the hang of it, they could perfectly roast them--golden brown on the outside and warm and gooey in the middle. Having a cool heart helped.
We enjoyed a few games as well. We played pin the gobbler on the turkey and went on a turkey hunt in the yard.
We decided to do our big meal on the Saturday following. We woke up Saturday morning not really sure of who was going to come. We didn't get to invite everyone on our list, but we were hoping to have a good group. Some who had said they were going to come canceled that morning, and some who said they couldn't come were talking about trying to come. So we got busy cooking and waited.
I think this was my third turkey to cook. This one may have been the best one yet, but my giblet gravy was not as good as the last time. Maybe I can get everything good at the same time next time. As Rusty says I just need a little practice. He loves being a taste-tester!
Slowly our guests started arriving and jumped into helping with everything. They carved up the meat for us, went to buy ice, and completed a host of other last minute errands. It would have been really late if everyone hadn't been willing to help.
We ended up with a great group. P'Nung even got to come and brought three of her workers with her. We had a good night of fun, food, laughter, and sharing what we were thankful for.When a day starts we don't know what all it holds, but we can be sure that God is in control. When I look back at the group that God put together for us, I'm indeed thankful. We had a good group of young adults, and we're thankful for each one of them and look forward to spending more time with all of them. When I look at the picture I see individual faces and remember how God has worked in their lives this past year. God is moving, and I'm thankful to be a part of it.





No comments:
Post a Comment