Wednesday, July 5, 2017

Happy Birthday America!

I had big plans for the 4th of July. Ha! That sounds very funny that I would attempt such a thing after living here for over ten years. Unfortunately old habits die hard, and I succumb to my need to plan way too often.

I knew they were coming to work on our porch this month and expected them on Monday. They contacted Pawn and scheduled to come at 10. I thought it was perfect timing! They would get started, and I would stay at home and prepare for the fourth. Monday is usually my grocery shopping day, but I got my stuff together over the weekend so I could stay home and cook for our party with our students at the house.

I got busy Monday morning and kept waiting for the workers to come. I ended up waiting all day, and at the end they called to cancel. It still worked out ok since I got the goodies made for our party on Tuesday.

I was planning to go to the school on Tuesday since they were having a foreign language day, and they were using Independence Day as a theme. Then I found out it was going to be an all day event. I couldn't do that and get things ready for the party and get them started on the porch repairs. So I stayed home, but Rusty and Adam got to go to the school. They thought they were going to teach, and then Rusty would speak at 2. None of that happened. They got to school and did a lot of sitting around. Adam was even asked to help someone with the lyrics to a song; he followed the teacher, stopped to talk to a few people along the way, and never got to help with the lyrics. I guess it wasn't that important!

I called Rusty shortly at 12 to get help with the repair work, and he couldn't talk because they were calling on him to speak right at that moment. They had to start early because the school principal was suffering from vertigo.


Mae Tang students are very photogenic, and they like it!


All of the decorations were homemade, of course! They did a great job with everything, and I was sad I missed out!


I think I will enlist these students to help me with all of my holiday decorating needs! I don't mean the ones in the pictures necessarily but whoever was in charge of the festivities!


This is Rusty's first year working with the new head of the foreign language department. Things are always a bit crazy when there are administration changes, but everyone works well together.



I'm not sure how they talked her into this, but here's the principal sporting a very festive American hat.



The students did a production of "Jack and the Beanstalk." When people saw the young man in the khakis and plaid shirt, they said, "Kru Adam!" Rusty quipped he must be the old man who took the beans from Jack. The students liked that!


While Rusty was away, the tear-off of the porch ceiling was completed. It's a mess under there! With all of the patching that was done in various spots, it makes sense that we have problems here and there.


Finally it was time to get ready for our 4th of July party with the students we have at our house. This was our first time to celebrate at our house in a long time because we're usually in Isaan eating grilled hot dogs, Lays potato chips, and American fried rice.


As students arrived we got them working on salt, glue, and watercolor works of art. They did a great job and seemed to enjoy it.


Well, almost everyone enjoyed it! One little guy was just hanging out on our gate.


Look! We're going to get to eat watermelon!


Wait! What? We have to eat it without using our hands? Adam really got into it even maneuvering the position of his watermelon slice with his chin. I bet his chin whiskers were sticky!

Moo, one of our college students, had her watermelon slide across the table so she requested to use her hands. We let Adam be the judge since he was the winner, and he determined she had to use her chin.

To the right of Adam is Nua's mom. She kind of giggled when we invited her to participate, but she got in there and did it!


Here are the remains of a successful watermelon eating contest!


We ended the evening with snacks. We had croissant wrapped hot dogs, fresh pineapple, watermelon, rambutan, and personal apple pies and red, white, and blue rice krispies treats for dessert. Between all of us there were 35 hot dogs eaten. In our video about the 4th of July, we learned that Americans eat 155 million hot dogs on this day. We did our part!

No comments: