Wednesday, August 9, 2017

And now it's the a/c...

When Rusty returned from Rayong, I was having fun showing him my almost finished kitchen projects. I say almost finished because I have one more touch-up spot on the ceiling, and I have a few spots on the cabinet that were roughed up when the shelves were set back up. Unfortunately our own personal retreat (our bedroom) started to be not so pleasant.

On Sunday evening I realized the a/c unit wasn't cooling. I checked the remote and initially thought the settings had been changed. I clicked through to the right settings, and eventually the whole unit shut down. We were able to run the fan without cooling. The first night was rough!

We called the repairman on Monday, and he came out and replaced the capacitor. It ran for a few minutes and then shut down again. On Tuesday the repairman returned to tell us we needed a new compressor. We got a second opinion and both agreed either replace the compressor or the whole unit.

The owner of the house didn't want to replace the compressor since it came with only a one month guarantee. We agreed with her assessment, but she also said that with the other repairs we've done this year, she couldn't swing the whole price of a new air conditioner. If we were willing to pay half, we could go ahead and get the new unit. We were thankful that we didn't have to worry about the money portion in that we had enough to cover it, but it isn't our house. The problem was it seemed not to be the normal rental agreement, but it was be stubborn or get a new air. Hmm...what to do?

It was out with the old...

 and in with the new.
We have a new 18,000 b.t.u. unit in our bedroom. Thankfully we found an inverter unit at a good price. A new unit without an inverter was about $60 cheaper, but the yearly operating cost was about $450.00 The inverter unit should cost about $268 to operate. That's a great savings! If this works we should be able to save our cost in a few months! I'm glad God worked things out!

No comments: