Thursday, October 5, 2017

Try it, you might like it!

It's time to update my thoughts on reading books. I was shocked to hear last year that more than twenty-five percent of Americans did not read one single book in any format in 2016. One-third of American men had not read a book in the last twelve months, and men who had no college education or earned lower incomes were even less likely to have read a book. I wonder how much time the people who weren't reading books spent on social media.

Life before Thailand did not include reading many quality books for me. I read occasionally; although I read classic literature, I didn't branch out to new stories or new genres. I really limited myself to ones I had read in high school that I enjoyed. But really, how many times should one read Pride and Prejudice? I will follow a bit of a rabbit trail here; many people like to use the C.S. Lewis quote, "It is a good rule, after reading a new book, never to allow yourself another new one till you have read an old one in between." to say that regularly returning to a favorite book in between each new book is a good idea. Although I do like to reread a classic occasionally, this is not using Lewis's quote in context. I think his distinction is between old and contemporary not between read and unread. With that said returning to an already read good book can be fun and entertaining and may improve any slump you're experiencing in your reading. Balance is key.

In 2011 I started keeping a list of books I read throughout each year. I find this motivating as I like to see my list getting longer and longer, but the lists keep me accountable in other ways as well. I have tried to mix up the topics and genres. I realized my reading was becoming rather one-sided so I purposed to shake up my reading lists. I now try to include biographies, marriage helps, christian living, women's issues, job development (missions and teaching), history, and some fiction. My reading list for each year will probably include something from every topic but will probably only include one work of fiction. Even my fiction reading has a goal behind it as I'm trying to work on world literature. So far I've covered France and Russia and am now working on Spain.

This brings me to the topic of try it, you might like it. Rusty recommended a book that he had enjoyed, and I must admit I hemmed-hawed around about reading it. But when I did I really enjoyed it! I have now added a new genre to my reading list which is what I will call science, apologetics, and worldview. The books are challenging, but isn't that a great attribute of reading good books? This doesn't mean you have to read everything that is recommended to you; it doesn't mean you will enjoy it if you do read it, but as you explore new genres and topics, you will find new things you like and things you don't like as much. You will be challenged in your thinking, and you will grow as a person.

I don't see myself as setting crazy book reading goals for each year, but I do like the direction I'm going. Less Facebook may equal more book time. I'm willing to try it and find out.

No comments: