Tuesday, July 31, 2018

Real Life After Furlough

We have returned from furlough and have been busy trying to get back into the groove. We're officially over jet-lag which is a huge relief! We completed our two week camp and outreach in Rayong, and we're back in our city getting back to a schedule. It's tough to close up in the US and try to get set back up here, but with God's help we're starting to settle down.

No matter what side of the pond we're on, we always have lots of catch-up work from being gone. In the States we had house repairs as well as rebuilding our dock to tend to, and here we have the growth that comes from living in a jungle during rainy season. Of course we also have the after furlough appliance buy and/or repair that seems to happen every time to take care of.


As soon as I walked into the kitchen, I realized I had forgotten to buy a new kitchen faucet. I really wanted to buy one in the States so that I could get one with the pull out sprayer; I really thought that would be a nifty feature! Also, there's more selection in the States for faucets that have mixer valves (that are plumbed for hot and cold water). I had a choice of about half a dozen units here, but I'm happy with the one we got. It's a bit taller than my old one. Since I was down to only the hot water side working on my old one, I've really really been enjoying this new one!


Rusty also had to install a new breaker. We're not really sure if it was another problem with our dryer or if it was the repairman that decided to run his welder off of the same breaker that caused the problem. As you can tell from this picture, we have a lot to be thankful for concerning our safety.


Before we left for furlough we had the service center come out to work on our stove. Unfortunately the repairs were going to cost $400 on a 15 or 16 year old unit. I thought I would just keep using what I had although the lighters were no longer working on any of it including the oven (nice job, repair guys!). When we returned I figured I would start shopping for a new on. We found this Bosch built-in that will get the job done, and it's convection! I'm ready to try it out! Eventually I'll shop for a new cooktop and will get it into a cabinet.


There was lots of work to be done outside as well! Rusty got my driveway power washed and ready for some more rain. It can get slick during the rainy season. He also got my yard mowed. Usually I like to do it, but this time I'm thankful he did it. I'm not sure what the final snake count was...


Adam's always good to come over and help. He did the trimming and also helped me clean up the road outside of our fence. He also helped Rusty fix the area across the street so that water would drain out. The concrete drainage cover tiles have been broken for a while, and it was causing water to back up and sit in the empty field. It was a nasty mess! There's still some work to be done there, but it's a lot better than it was!

Now as far as the house is concerned, we made a big dent in catching up, and we're ready to get a few more projects knocked out that we didn't get to before furlough.

No comments: