We had a really fun day talking to the students. The biggest money maker was the movie theater. This group charged 5 B per person to watch a movie, and they made over 1500B in ticket sales. I think every group will want to use that idea next year.
Tuesday, February 15, 2011
International Day
Many of the schools have international days at their schools. We've attended several events like this at the university, an international school, and now at the large school where Rusty teaches. At this school, each department had booths and activities set up as fundraisers.
The music department had traditional Thai instruments set up for students to try playing. A lot of them are very talented. I've never really tried to play any of them; I don't think I have the musical ear for them.
I thought I could beat the drum, but I don't think I'm coordinated enough to do the dance moves along with it. A young female student came in and showed me how to really do it. :)
This reminded me of our old dunking booths in the States, but this setup involved water balloons. When the kids hit the bull's eye, it dropped the water balloon on the person's head. This was during cool season so the kids were really getting cold.
This was the cupcake decorating station by the Home Ec department. Of course Hope knew what all of the decorating tips were actually for.
Here's Pawn talking to another Karen girl who wanted to know what it was like living with foreigners. This was a student Rusty helped when she was preparing for a speaking competition.
We enjoyed looking at the English department's presentation.
They set up pronunciation clinics for the students practicing difficult sounds.

I really enjoyed looking at all of the English projects. The students wrote and illustrated English books. They did a great job, and it really gave me a lot of good teaching ideas should I ever be in the same classroom consistently.
We got a good laugh at the science club's exhibit. They were going to insert this tube to blow into so they could inflate the lungs. They weren't sure which end had been inserted previously, and no one wanted to put their mouth on it if they weren't sure. The girl seemed positive that she was inserting the same end that she had previously inserted, but I'm not sure I would have believed her! :) I certainly wouldn't want to put my mouth on the dirty end.
We had a really fun day talking to the students. The biggest money maker was the movie theater. This group charged 5 B per person to watch a movie, and they made over 1500B in ticket sales. I think every group will want to use that idea next year.
We had a really fun day talking to the students. The biggest money maker was the movie theater. This group charged 5 B per person to watch a movie, and they made over 1500B in ticket sales. I think every group will want to use that idea next year.
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
No comments:
Post a Comment