Tuesday, December 27, 2011

Cambodia Day 5.5

We continued around the corner from our hotel and coffee stand and found an excellent book shop, but before we left the coffee shop we saw this delivery motorcycle. He was delivering Doublemint gum to the stands.
We continued on and found a great bookshop. If I had been able to check-in baggage on my flight, I would have filled a bag with books, English teaching supplies, and Christmas decorations. They even had Christian decorations, and I could have bought some really good Christmas gifts. Alas, I left the stuff there and dream about going back.
While in the bookshop I started asking if there was a restroom there. Quite a few of the workers didn't want to speak in English to me and scurried away grinning that "I'm embarrassed" grin. Finally someone called me sister and led me to the restroom. It's funny sometimes what they call me. I still don't like being called madame in the market, but there's something I find heart-warming about being called sister. I liked it, and I know it's just normal for them. The name of this hotel with the Statue of Liberty was called Hotel New York, but it was Chinese.
While we were in the bookstore, we met up with P Nung again and walked to Central Market. Crossing the street in Cambodia is very scary--at least it was for me. I really stuck close to Rusty.

We found a couple of new coffee hats at the market and bought them 2 for $4. We paid more than that in Thailand, and they were smaller. One of them is a new style also; it has four parts.

After we got through at Central Market we stopped off at Lucky Supermarket. I'm not sure if I would have stopped or not if we had not had some friends who said they bought Dr Pepper there. Boy am I glad we stopped in! As you can tell from the picture we found some great stuff! I told Rusty it was probably a good thing that God didn't call us to Cambodia because I might have been in trouble being able to buy Dr Pepper for less than a dollar a can! And since Rusty found bags of Frito's that was just the icing on the cake! Here a regular sized bag of Frito's (which I've only seen once or twice) is a little over $10. They were less than half that in Cambodia! I could have come back with a lot if I had only had some luggage!

We made it back safely to the hotel to get some good rest before heading out on our own again on the last day.

No comments: