Thursday, December 29, 2011

Christmas Happenings

I don't think I realized how close we were to Christmas when we got back from Cambodia. I had faithfully mailed my Christmas/New Year's cards before we left, but I didn't have anything else done except for the tree.
Antioch had their Christmas program on the 17th, and I was racing around trying to get some goodies made for that. Thankfully Pawn loves to get in the kitchen and help. And when she saw me pull out the red and green sprinkles she was quick to take over the sugar cookie making.
I worked on the sweet potato casserole. That's a pretty involved process as we have to make marshmallows first. Pawn oversaw that part too after I heated up the sugar and water on the stove. I also realized that my candy thermometer is off. This batch of marshmallows was a little grainy but still worked fine!We made it to the church just a little bit late because of a miscommunication. Hard to believe right? We thought Pawn was coming back home to meet Sii and Gam and to ride with us. They were all at the church by the time we finally reached someone on their cell phone.
Everyone was having fun and feeling festive.
The young people (does that make me sound old?) have been taking guitar and drum lessons on Sunday afternoons, and they performed a song for us. I was so impressed with how well they are doing!
Rusty gave a short devotional. He thought it was long, but I wasn't squirming yet so it must have been ok. :D
The final act of the evening was pretty fun. The four married Karen women did this song about Karen women going out to work and what they have in their bags. They all had lunch stored in banana leaves (or maybe what they caught to take home to clean and cook), powder (maybe in the past sandalwood), and beetlenut. Pawn called them the modern Karen women because in the past they didn't have powder compacts they just had lunch and beetlenut. These women also had fishing poles for their work. They had to do this song twice, and many were asking for a translation into Thai. :)
We finished up about 10 that night, and I think everyone was a bit tired. OK, maybe it was just me that was tired.

No comments: