Whew! This past week started off fast and furious. I've been diligently working on my thesis trying to finish the first three chapters before we leave on furlough plus trying to fit in preparing to leave for four months. And the ministry has been busy as everyone wants to fit in one more dinner, service, etc. with us before we leave. And we have our usual work even though most of our schools have canceled classes for the rest of the school year.
Rusty started teaching at a new high school. The teacher that invited him used to teach at one of the other schools he teaches at. So every Monday morning he does the opening assembly for their English day. The Thai government is really promoting the beginning of the ASEAN union in 2015, and everyone is busy trying to get the standards of education up to the levels they need to be at. They're really making some changes in the English department, and it's going to continue to gain importance in the coming years.

So every Monday morning he teaches a new sentence or question to a group of 1200 students then has them practice. He has really enjoyed this school. The students have never studied with a Western teacher at this school, and they seem very interested in talking with Rusty. The relationship is just starting with this school.

On Monday evening our adopted nieces came over to bake a birthday cake. Lily's birthday is on Sweetheart's Day, and she had her cake with decorations all planned out. She wanted a chocolate cake with red cream cheese frosting. Note for next year: don't add milk to the frosting until you've put in the food coloring. Your cake will be pink when everyone really wants red.

She also brought over a chocolate bar and used the shavings to make a heart. I thought it turned out really pretty, and she said her school friends said it was delicious. She brought us a leftover piece, and it was pretty good if I do say so myself. :)

Tuesday morning found me up early making muffins for Rusty to share with the other teachers for Sweetheart's Day. These are chocolate chip muffins; I also made cranberry harvest muffins for another school. I figured the teachers probably wanted something not as sweet as my cookies, and I was right! The teacher that usually complains about my cookies absolutely loved the cranberry muffins.

Rusty made it home from teaching in time for a special supper. We had bought some steaks that were marked down at the Lotus and had been saving them for a special occasion. I also sauteed some shrimp; there are some definite bonuses for cleaning out the freezer before furlough. We also had stuffed mushrooms, stuffed jalapeno peppers, salad, and rolls. And the star of the show was the Dr Pepper!

Before English class we managed to fit in dessert also. I had asked Rusty early in the morning what he wanted for dessert, and carrot cake was his choice. I knew it had to be a really moist carrot cake so I was looking for a recipe that called for crushed pineapple in it like my mom's. I found one that had crushed pineapple and had an extra step that sounded super moist and super delicious. After the cake comes out of the oven, you top it with a sauce and let it soak into the cake. Then you top it with cream cheese frosting after it's cool. Rusty declared it to be the best carrot cake I've ever made. :)

Then after supper it was time for the neighborhood class. They made valentines for their families and practiced their writing. Just give them some paper, scissors, and colored pencils and let them go!

Pawn and I made these to give to some of our students. I only did them at one school, but I plan to do something better next year.
We had a great day together, but we always enjoy our time together. It may be squeezed in between work and more work, but it gets done. And it makes us thankful for our lives together. I'm so thankful God gave me Rusty!
No comments:
Post a Comment