Today was our day to go to the village to teach English and Bible. We always have a good time there even if we do have to go ahead and get up and going early on a Saturday morning. Last night's sleep was not very sweet as I left my computer logged into Skype, and we got a phone call around 1:00 this morning. I was so out of it I told Rusty it was the alarm and that it was time to get up. I'm not sure why I thought the computer was our alarm clock. Then when I went back to bed, Rusty asked what if it was our family trying to get a hold of us in an emergency. I said if they were, they would call back. I have no idea why I said that since I had specifically looked at the telephone number that called and knew it was a telemarketer. Oh well...when I'm sleeping you can't listen to anything I say. Well I guess you can listen but don't take it seriously or believe it!
We taught English for two hours and got to the part where Pawn was going to be sharing about the Bible. I looked around and saw some of the students playing with a little baby so I went over and offered to hold him. I was shocked that he actually came to me. We were having a good time, and he was acting really, really good considering it was his first time to be held by a foreigner. Usually the first time doesn't go that well.
I was sitting there thinking about how a lot of people here still don't use Pampers. I remembered reading about another couple who lived among the villagers and potty-trained their baby the same way without Pampers. I was really extolling the virtues of this in my mind by thinking about how much money one could save by doing things this way.
Then Pawn was finishing up her talk about salvation, and my attention was drawn toward what was going on in the classroom. We were talking about some of the kids who were starting to understand more when I felt something warm in my lap. Apparently I reacted too slow and ended up with a wet lap. The students all thought it was pretty funny. :)
As I was walking back from rinsing out my skirt, Rusty and Pawn were walking back from the truck. Pawn was telling him that in the village they say that that means the kid really loves whoever is holding him when it happens. :) His mom said he has never done that with anyone else. :) I'm guessing I'm pretty special even if it doesn't say love in my language.
After lunch we were visiting when I saw the same little boy again. Pawn was holding him this time, and we were really picking on her. Obviously he didn't really love Pawn if she was still dry, and she was saying he loved her a lot. Finally she brought him up to us, and Rusty and I were having fun passing him back and forth and playing with him.
You wouldn't believe it, but he got me a second time!!!
There are some diapers here...
I guess it is all about love!

No comments:
Post a Comment