For over a year now the buzz has been around ASEAN--a federation of 10 Southeast Asian countries. We have heard from the schools about all of the changes that must take place by 2015 so that all of the countries can be up to the same standards. There seems to be a nervous yet excited push for more English and for higher general education outcomes. ASEAN has been the theme of all kinds of seminars, camps, and meetings. We taught at an ESL camp this past Saturday that had the same theme.
Rusty leading an opening song. He has the right kind of personality to get up and do things on the spot. :)
Rusty helped with the sports rotation. The students had to learn about sports from the different ASEAN countries.
I had the souvenir station. We made bookmarks and fans. Students chose a country and decorated the souvenir accordingly.
We had about 40 students visiting from another school and some university students from the States. The students from the States are studying abroad for six months as part of a sustainability program. The teacher from the visiting school recognized Rusty and wants us to come and teach at her school if we have the time. They have had missionaries there in the past and are willing to have more. I'm always thankful when schools are open to that because it makes me think the previous teachers must have a good witness.
I enjoyed Saturday, but I was not looking forward to going on Friday night. I have been taking time off from teaching so that I can concentrate on finishing my thesis. I had told them I would come to help with the camp, but I didn't want to teach. Of course I knew that I would be teaching. I taught the souvenir station, but at least there wasn't anything for me to prepare. I just had to explain what they were going to do and walk around asking questions. I probably didn't even have to ask the questions, but I wanted to interact with the kids.
I found it interesting that we were conducting an ESL camp with the ASEAN theme. I can't imagine having a UN themed camp in the States where we all sing the UN song, practice speaking the official UN language, etc. But I guess I can see how the end times are coming about. When I was a kid I never imagined how the world could come together. Then with the problems the EU has been having, I couldn't imagine why other countries would want to set up the same system. I guess failure may bring about a one world system. It brings back into focus how important His work is. We have a great responsibility in reaching our friends, neighbors, students, co-workers, etc. with the gospel message. Lord keep us faithful and help us to show Your love.
No comments:
Post a Comment