I'm not one to go to the beauty shop very often. I really don't know why when it's very reasonable to go get your hair washed, get a head massage, get a haircut, or just get it styled here. I just have a hard time making the time to go. One of my goals this week though was to go and get it done.
Rusty needed to get his hair cut as well so we stopped and got foot massages first then split up to get the haircuts. First getting my hair washed is always interesting. Even though I'm a pretty normal height for around here, I'm really not the right size for getting my hair washed. You lay on a table like thing that does have a dip in it for your backside, but if I put my backside where it belongs I have to hold my head up over the bowl. My head extends past the table, and it's very uncomfortable. Once I got situated I had the choice between warm or cold water. Since it's cold season I chose to go for the warm. I love getting my hair washed because they really massage my scalp although this time she didn't really massage my neck.
While I was sitting in the chair, I began to realize how basic this shop is. I go to one in our local market; there are definitely more up-scale shops in other parts of the city. The chairs don't raise up and down. In fact sometimes I sit in a regular wicker chair. The girl who combed my hair was commenting on how long my hair is. She had to kneel on the floor to get to the bottom of it.
Then when it was time to cut it, there were lots of stares. Everyone waited to see how much we were going to cut. It turned out a bit shorter than I thought, but I think it will help with the health of it. Everyone was pleasantly surprised that I was pretty easy-going about what they did. When it was time to blow-dry it, she asked me if I wanted it straight or how. I have always gone straight, but this time I left it up to her. I really wish I had a picture of the process! Before I knew it I had about 10 round hairbrushes wrapped up in different sections of my hair hanging from my head. It doesn't seem like it would be that heavy, but it really was.
I wondered exactly what she was doing when I started looking around the shop. There were no curling irons and no traditional beauty shop hair dryers. It's just a pretty basic shop, and they're pretty creative with how they style.
When she finished I was afraid she was going to have to cut the brushes out of my hair, but everything came out ok. The curls were there, and they stayed all evening with no hairspray! I was pretty impressed and may need them to do my hair more often. They certainly do a better job than I do!
No comments:
Post a Comment