Friday, April 5, 2013

If at first you don't succeed...

try, try again! We've learned how to do a lot of things here, but there's one important thing to remember. The learning never stops!

I had to go to Payap University to get a form signed for my upcoming thesis defense. Even though it still feels like a scavenger hunt going around to the different buildings and offices, I was pretty encouraged that I completed it a lot faster than the time I didn't register for the second semester and therefore had to be re-instated as a student. Apparently if you take off for a semester you have to request a leave of absence first.

As I was leaving I realized that we needed to renew the truck insurance and registration. Rusty drove us into town, and I ran in and quickly paid for the insurance. I asked a quick question, and then we were off to the transportation office.

I had been wondering how long it would be before we had to start having the truck inspected. Well, I finally know the answer; it's 7 years. When I went in to check in for my number, the lady said I had to go outside to get it inspected. It's funny I thought I understood what she meant. We had noticed a long line of cars parked outside so Rusty joined that line and asked me to go talk to a man who was parked in front of us but was waiting outside under a tree.

It took a minute or two for me to try to explain what I needed because I couldn't remember what the lady had said I needed to do. Finally he said the words I recognized. I was excited, and he told me where to go to get it done. It was at another place so then I realized that when the lady had said outside, she really meant outside.

So Rusty made the two u-turns, and I tried to read the signs. I was reading too slowly, and we missed the turn-in the first time. So Rusty made two more u-turns, and we pulled in. If you don't have to make some u-turns it's not worth going to. We've been saying this for a few years.

When we got there they said they couldn't do the inspection because we didn't have the registration for the camper! Haha! We didn't even know we had to have registration for that. So if we can't do it there, where do we have it done???

Back to the transportation office we went, and I went to talk to the first lady again. She again told me I couldn't have my truck inspected there--that I had to go someplace else. But this time I had new information. I told her that I couldn't do it outside because we have a camper, and she agreed with me. Knowing that we had a camper made all the difference. I was the only one who didn't know it made a difference. The worker at the other inspection place had written a note for me to show them what I needed so this helped confirm that we were moving in the right direction. I had to have the truck inspected at the transportation office. She told me to head down to window 7, and I thought I was nearing success!

I didn't know if I could just walk up to the window or had to take a number so I asked another lady sitting at a desk. Haha! I still didn't get to change the registration all because I didn't have Rusty's work permit with me. There's always something!

We have added another saying to our life experiences. If you don't have to go back to a place more than once, it's probably not worth getting done. At least we'll know the process for next year???

No comments: