Sunday, May 26, 2013

White coffee...you know I had to buy it!


I really like to go shopping at the plaza near our house. I don't really go that often anymore because of the horrible parking situation they've created, but it's still very convenient if I'm wanting to run in and pick up just one or two items. Plus in the same area in the plaza there's a great place to get Vietnamese coffee, get a foot and leg massage, or do some shopping in the stationary store.

In this particular supermarket, I like the great deals I can find. I can't tell you how many buy 1 get 1 free promotions I've stocked up on. It's a great place to find imported items, and a lot of the prices aren't that bad. This past Saturday I forgot to buy Texas some dog food. Of course I didn't know he was out until the day before he was going to be completely out. Then on Saturday I forgot to go and pick it up until our regular dog food store was closed. So I ran into the small supermarket and bought 500g of dog food. It was actually cheaper at this small store than it is at the big super center down the street.

Anyway, back to the coffee. I always have to read the promotion signs in Thai. I have bowls from Campbell's soup, bowls from a juice brand, a Quaker oats mug, I love to look for the little orange signs that signal I can possibly get something for free.On this particular night I read this one, but I wasn't exactly sure which bag of coffee to buy so I asked the cashier. She didn't know so she asked the manager. The manager asked the workers at the customer service desk. They said they didn't have a promotion for this coffee. The manager was a great manager! She went to where I said I saw the sign, verified what the sign said, and found the free coffee mug! She did all of this in the midst of a very busy store and told me I should file a complaint with the store for not posting the signs in English. I laughed about that because I feel like I'm the visitor here it's really their choice whether they want to post things in English or not. But the manager does have a good point since I know a lot of foreigners shop at the grocery stores. I'm just happy to have my hazelnut coffee and got the free mug! Now if they would just put some Thai writing on the promotional items I would be even happier.

No comments: