We started the week with an invasion of dead flies. Usually when this happens it's because something has died in or near the house. It's very annoying because we have to sweep up the carcasses multiple times per day, and they frequently dive into people as they near their death.
We printed and laminated the story cards for Easter. There are picture cards that have to be matched with the story cards and put in chronological order. This was very difficult for the students as most of them have never heard the Easter story even though some of our neighborhood students attend Christian schools. We had a lot of new students during this time as well. Some of our students who study with us all the time take a break during summer, and they weren't here to help out with the stories. It made a difference, but there was a lot of motivation among the new students to get the story right!
On Tuesday Rusty spent the day at service for the truck. We had to get the oil changed and the tires rotated at another shop. It made for a long day, but it felt good to get it done. I usually take care of this when service happens during the school year, but it's much more convenient when it happens during a break. For the past couple of years it's been very difficult for me to have the truck during the week for business since Rusty's schedule is always full with multiple schools in each day.
On Wednesday we had a new pest control company to come and spray the house and the yard. We've had a terrible time between the termites, ants, another type of wood-eating insect, and mice. Something was even eating the grout on our porches. The old company just said it was old grout which meant they didn't have spray to kill them.
They used a whole drum of spray for the initial spraying, and they seemed to do a thorough job. They drilled holes inside and outside and sprayed up in the trees as well. I'm sure none of our produce is organic anymore. It was a mess to clean up, but I have been seeing dead ants around! Our squirrels are still playing in the trees so I'm happy they're safe as well.
We finally got two quotes for our house repairs that need to be done. I emailed them to the owner, and after a little delay, she gave the approval for the repairs. She does want us to ask for a discount and try to get the price down about $100. We're very excited we're going to get the work done. She couldn't find another contractor to come out and look so we get to choose the contractor as well. Hopefully we'll get the roof repaired and a new front porch ceiling before the rainy season.
After working on the resurrection story with our ESL students for a few days, we reviewed with a Jeopardy game. Rusty said it was quite difficult for them, but they were very motivated to know all of the answers. I think they did very well since a lot of the Jeopardy questions were not taken from the story cards we had been working on.
On Thursday we had to deposit the money for our car insurance so that we could get our car tax paid. Thankfully it's very easy to just deposit the money into the account so they could email us proof of insurance.
On Friday morning I got up to fix Rusty's breakfast to find out we were out of cooking gas. We got out the camp stove and got Rusty on the way to school. I called to order a new tank. Thankfully I asked how much it was going to be since the price had increased, and I didn't have correct change. I asked for them to come in the afternoon when Rusty would be home.
Rusty was going to stop by and get the truck inspected, and they offered to go to the transportation office to renew the tags as well. Only Rusty didn't have enough cash. So he came all the way home, and we exchanged bills so I would have some small ones for the gas company.
When Rusty got home we had to scrounge around to get enough money for our water delivery. We were about to check the couch cushions, but we scraped together the $2 that was needed.
Finally at the end of the day, this is all we had. Rusty had to borrow money from Adam to go swimming the next day, and we planned a trip to the ATM for the next day.











No comments:
Post a Comment