Faa went home to visit her mom during the school break. I had noticed that she seemed a bit nervous about her return even praying that God would help her to not do the bad thing even if her family asked her to. I didn't think about the possibilities, but there are plenty of things out there when you live in this religious culture.
She returned home a few weeks ago and eventually told Rusty what happened. Although it can be difficult to piece stories together, here's what we know. Faa's family prepared some food for a religious ceremony, and at some point they were going to eat it. Faa chose to abstain since eating it would be a part of the ceremony, and it caused some dissension with her mom. Her mom wanted to force the issue even going as far as saying Rusty would never know if she ate it. Faa stood on her own convictions and told her mom that it was her own personal choice. She was not going to eat it. I think her mom even went to worrying about her not having any food (nutrients) if she didn't eat, but Faa wasn't worried about the physical aspect of eating or not eating. Her mom has said she will cook separate food in the future so that Faa will have something to eat.
Sometimes I look around and think of the great price people pay for being believers here. I know it's nothing compared to what Jesus went through to redeem us, but I still think of the great sacrifice they make. There isn't an area of life it doesn't affect. The local religion is pervasive in the government and throughout public life. It's easy for us as foreigners to abstain because people don't expect us to be the same, but in a culture where community is so important, it's harder for locals to not stick out.
Please pray for the believers here that they will remain strong. Pray for more of them to become believers; when Christians make up 0.7% of the population, it can feel lonely.

No comments:
Post a Comment