Monday, September 15, 2008

Neenish Tarts Anyone?

Well, I've been on a blogging hiatus of sorts I guess. Rusty and I have been super busy the last 4 weeks as we were taking a certificate in TESOL class at Payap. It was a very intense time, but we passed with flying colors. We are now certified to teach English to speakers of other languages. That's what we've been doing, but now we're certified. I'll blog more about our class later.

I woke up this morning excited about not having to go to class. I knew I had to be busy because I have an assignment due for another class on Thursday, but I was ready for a slightly relaxing day. Pawn and I went to pay the water bill and then on to Lotus to do some shopping. It felt like they had completely changed the store! I had to walk down every aisle, but of course I probably would have done that anyway. We don't go to Lotus very much because it's just not very convenient, but it is my favorite store outside of Rimping.

After we got home I was flipping through our New Zealand album when the craving hit me. Only I couldn't remember the name of what it was I wanted. Rusty couldn't remember either until I said the word tart. Then he remembered Neenish of all words and found the recipe on the internet. So this evening that became my cooking project. Boy I've missed being in the kitchen! Just call me a kitchen nerd.

Here's a picture of the finished project...The tarts are basically a pie crust with a filling that has sweetened condensed milk, powdered sugar, butter, and lemon juice. I think to be authentic mine needed more lemon juice. Then traditionally they either have chocolate and vanilla frosting on top or pink and chocolate. Some people just use white chocolate and regular chocolate. I had to make more of a frosting. They are super sweet!

Now Rusty is ready for some meat pies. I may have to buy one at the grocery store so I can remember what they taste like. Then again I might just need another trip to New Zealand to satisfy all of these cravings!

No comments: