Monday, May 17, 2010

Village trip

As soon as the Raburn's left we headed out early in the morning to take Pawn to visit her parents in her village. I wasn't feeling well during the car trip but perked up once we got to the village.
The drive to her village was absolutely beautiful! We went through and area in the mountains that had the mountain on one side and water running on the other side. There were times the road reminded me so much of Arizona. I would love to go back to this area and get away from the city for a few days--some day! :)
We enjoyed a good lunch with Pawn's parents and had a relaxing day meeting some of the people in her village. We also Ms. Nung and her two boys with us. They had never been to a Karen village before.
I knew Pawn's house when I saw it. It had a beautiful section with some blooming orchids arranged nicely on it. Pawn has that same touch with plants. :)
We were also able to meet Pawn's grandmother. She is unable to leave her house these days, but she is really talkative! We couldn't understand her, but she enjoyed having her picture taken and then looking at it. She thought we looked good and that she didn't look so good in this picture. I think she and Rusty look good, and I don't look so good. I guess females are the same...never like their own pictures.Rusty met up with a group of kids walking along the road. He had to check out the basket carrying technique. I guess he's ready to go get some cabbage now!
One thing always strikes me when we go to a village--the people are so giving! We were loaded up with fresh tomatoes and rice. They gave us cloth, bags, and shirts made out of the Karen cloth. I'm really looking forward to getting mine made into a skirt! This will be my first Karen skirt. They gave a lot to Ms. Nung also. I'm so glad she was able to go with us and that we got to spend more time with her!

On the way back we enjoyed a dinner at 7-11 and the pretty scenery going home. We returned to the hot city and realized how thankful we were for the cool breezes on the mountain. I enjoyed taking trips to different houses in Pawn's village and talking with the people. It's amazing how God can bless you with friends. We went not wanting to do anything except take Pawn to visit her parents, and we are the ones who end up being blessed.

No comments: