Thursday, May 13, 2010
Thai Cooking Class
Ever since we came to Thailand I have been wanting to take a Thai cooking class. I don't like to go and do things by myself, and I've never taken the time to go do it when we've had guests. Rusty has an ESL student who is wanting to open a cooking school this fall, and the Raburn's visit seemed to be an ideal time to invite Ms. Nung over to teach us. The Raburn's were here for almost a week, and they love Thai food. In addition, it gave us more opportunities to build our relationship with Ms. Nung and help her. We picked out our menu, and then we were ready for the cooking school.
First stop was a trip to the market. There we bought the fresh ingredients for our dishes. We also stopped and bought some iced coffee. Ms. Nung already knew about my favorite coffee stand, but I introduced them to the world of mocha caramel drinks. :)
Then it was back to my kitchen to begin preparing the dishes. We started off washing vegetables and chopping. I couldn't believe how small my kitchen felt, and we have a large kitchen. Once it filled up with people and vegetables, it really felt tiny!
We quickly learned that we were not accustomed to the old ways of Thai food preparation. We are seriously lacking in the veggie cutting department. Ms. Nung had us "shredding" carrots with our knives; I think Brenda and I both decided we would hold on to our cheese graters. Most of the veggies were prepared in the old style, and as Ms. Nung said it's important to keep a cool heart (patient, calm) in Thailand. It stays the same in Thai cooking.
As we finished preparing the ingredients for each dish, Ms. Nung would make beautiful presentations of the ingredients. These are spring rolls waiting for assembly--we found out we were not professional spring roll rollers either! :) But they were delicious, and I'm not sure you could tell they weren't perfect once they were fried!
Brenda is cooking chicken penang which is one of Bro. Lynn's favorites. It turned out quite spicy which didn't bother Bro. Lynn!
Here's the spring roll frying--notice the professional getting the spring rolls to the perfect golden brown color. They were very delicious!
Even though it was a long, hot day, I think we had happy customers and taste-testers at the end of the day!
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
No comments:
Post a Comment