Sunday, November 21, 2010

When life doesn't go as planned

Life often doesn't always go as planned in Thailand. For this planner that can lead to disappointment sometimes. After living here for about five years I've learned a few things. For example, if you don't have to make a u-turn to get someplace, it's probably not worth going to. Sometimes if you really want to go to a place, you might make the correct u-turn and still not be able to find the place. That's when you might have to learn to make it yourself.

When I went with the ladies from Antioch Church north for the ladies' retreat, we bought gyoza (Chinese, Korean, or Japanese dumplings) from a wonderful shop near the border. Rusty and I tried to find the same shop, but we were unsuccessful. I felt so bad for him driving down all sorts of little side streets so we gave up and went back to the hotel. Then I decided since I had a pack of gyoza wrappers in the freezer, we would make our own after we returned home. I think everyone likes trying something new in our kitchen. It may be a large kitchen, but it can fill up when we're all in there.
Stuffing the wrappers is a fun process. You can't put too much filling in it, and when you fold the dumpling in half there are several techniques you can use for getting the fancy edges. I did a much better job on the gyoza than I normally do on pie crust edges. Maybe with all this practice, I'll get better at my food presentation skills.We had too much pork and veggie filling, so we made some meatballs to drop into our soup. We made some soup from the juices left over from our Chinese pork legs that we bought for the bbq for international day at church. These are Hope's fingers--she hates working with raw meat. I'm not sure any of us particularly enjoy doing it.
Rusty was on-hand for video-taping, counseling on how to prepare the filling, and for cooking the gyoza. He's good to have around in the kitchen and keeps us laughing.
Here is the finished plate. We added some fresh vegetables that we bought from the market on the mountain.

And finally a short video showing the actual assembly of the gyoza and what else was going on in the kitchen...

No comments: