Tuesday, June 14, 2011

Media Choices

Sometimes I'm a bit far removed from what's on in the States. We hear popular names over here, but we don't really know that much about them. I've never been one that had to be listening to the latest band or watching the latest t.v. program. When I was still at my parents' house there were a couple of programs that I followed faithfully, but when I got married we didn't have a t.v. We have had one over here for DVD's, but I'm amazed that I don't really miss cable or network t.v.

Fast forward to today, and I'm reading a chapter from Lies Young Women Believe about satan being a deceiver. Eve's first mistake was in listening to satan's lies. Eve knew she wasn't supposed to eat of the tree of knowledge so why was she hanging around it?

"We know we're not supposed to lie, do drugs, have sex with multiple partners or swear. So why do so many Christians enjoy watching television programs that flaunt those themes? Why do they listen to and sing popular songs with unwholesome lyrics? Why do they flock to theatres to see a movie that has 'just one little sex scene'?"

In listening to conversations of teens I'm surprised at what constitutes a good t.v. show--one that's not bad. Of course I don't know much about what's on so I went to www.pluggedinonline.com to see what this new show was all about. Part of the review included these words: "Drug and alcohol use, foul language, scanty clothing, sexual innuendo and some passionate make-out scenes—straight and homosexual." This is from a t.v. show on a channel that has Family as part of its name. I think when held up against God's Word this show would not be considered good, but then again many things that come from Hollywood would not be considered good.

And in case you're reading this blog and thinking you're pretty safe because you don't have a t.v. or only watch black and white movies, you'd better monitor those pretty well too. Have you ever found yourself watching a movie and hoping that the marriage breaks up because the wife really could do so much better? Or have you ever watched a movie hoping the woman would marry the "bad" guy so that she can reform him?" These are not things we should be hoping for or thinking upon because I believe they are part of the lies satan tells us to get us into our own downward spiral into some sin.

You should also monitor your children's internet usage. There are sites where these movies and shows can be watched for free all over the internet. Just because you don't allow it into your house through cable or satellite doesn't mean they're not finding other ways to watch it.

The Bible tells us to "flee youthful passions and pursue righteousness, faith, love, and peace, along with those who call on the Lord from a pure heart. Have nothing to do with foolish, ignorant controversies....(2 Timothy 2:22-23)." So when satan starts telling you that you can take in that little bit of sin and it won't hurt you, don't believe it! Instead choose to think on whatever is true, whatever is honorable, whatever is right, whatever is pure, whatever is lovely, and whatever is of good repute. "If you aren't filling your mind and heart with God's Truth, you will end up believing Satan's lies. And what you believe (not what you say you believe, but what you really believe) will determine the way that you live."

ETA: Although I really appreciate the work of Focus on the Family with providing the reviews found on Plugged In's website, I do not advocate using it too much. I think we need to be careful about reading too many reviews especially if it's reading reviews for every movie even the ones we know before reading we're not going to be able to go and watch. Do I really need to know what's wrong with an R-rated movie that I have no plans in going to watch? I don't have to be up-to-date on what all of the movies contain in order to have dinner conversation material, and I don't want to give off the impression that I'm just like everyone else. We need to run from it not see how close we can get to it.

No comments: