Sunday, November 27, 2011

It's Beginning to Look A Lot Like Christmas


Since we had the girls with us this weekend we decided to put up the Christmas tree. I guess it's tradition for us to do it the Sunday afternoon after Thanksgiving since it's not traditional for us to have Thanksgiving on Thursday. Things have changed over the years and among the places we've lived, but one thing I've learned--you can either wallow in the despair of what you're missing out on or you can give thanks to God in all things. There's something to be thankful for and some way that God is working.
Pawn was trying to orchestrate the unpacking of the Christmas decorations. She kept telling Sii and Gam to quit playing and get to unwrapping, but Gam and Sii were having fun looking at each individual piece. After all, this was their first time to do this.I think Sii must have some of my personality traits. She was grouping Christmas ornaments according to their theme or characters. She has quite a big collection of Snoopy ornaments started over there.
At first I wondered what in the world this picture was about since I didn't actually see Rusty doing this. Then it hit me that he may have been dancing to the new ornament Rusty's mom sent us. It has Snoopy and Woodstock outside of the doghouse, and when you push the button it plays the Peanuts theme and the characters dance. It goes nicely with the Charlie Brown Christmas clock we have. :)Every year we have a few problems remembering how the Precious Moments mini nativity tea set is put together. But every year it gets put together. We should make an instructional video to play each year.
I think Gam was a bit disappointed that she wasn't getting to do more with the pieces under the tree. Pawn referred to them as Pawn's items. Then Gam said, "Oh, so if they're Pawn's things only Pawn gets to play with them?" It was so funny!Pawn ended up re-arranging how it was setup under the tree, but originally the Precious Moments nativity was in the middle. Gam hung one of the star ornaments over it just right. She was being pretty creative.
Gam tried to set up this house using her imagination. She put the girl with the stocking inside the house. She said that way she could wait for Santa inside, and he would fill her stocking when he got there. Pawn saw the girl in there and told Gam she did it wrong. She couldn't put the girl in the house. So funny to hear all this talk and discussion going on and so funny what Sii and Gam were coming up with. Sii doesn't talk a lot, but both girls said they really enjoyed doing it.We took 10 group photos, and I chose this one to show what kind of characters we had with us. We couldn't keep Gam still for the photos. Rusty's trying to hold her down to keep her from jumping, but it obviously wasn't working.After we finished the tree it was time to put the lights and ribbon on the banister. We also take down the rice hats that are hanging up along the stairs to have places for some stockings. I heard giggling and talking about the rice hats, but I didn't know what was going on. I was off looking for more Christmas items.Just us girls with the finished product. We all had fun, and it looks very festive around here.

Gam and Sii both know about the true meaning of Christmas. They knew about the nativity sets and Gam was oohing and aahing over the baby Jesus figurines. I was pretty impressed about how much they had learned at church and such when all of the sudden Gam pulls up the Precious Moments figurine and says, "Who is this sleeping?"I just laughed and then I could see the light bulb pop up over her head. :) She figured it out.

One last thing...Rusty and I saw a local classified ad a couple of weeks ago where someone was selling a nativity set, but it was missing the baby Jesus figurine. What's the point? But then I figured that's probably how most of us celebrate it. We focus on everything but Jesus. We get caught up in preparing for this party, making sure we have our entire gift list covered, making sure our houses are decorated perfectly, listening to all of the fun Christmas songs, and we forget Who it should really be about. Let's make it different this year!

No comments: