If you know very much about me or our work here, you'll know that when we came here I thought we would be spending lots of time in the villages. In fact, that's what I desired to do. I envisioned us spending the weekends in Karen villages around the countryside, living with the people while teaching and worshiping together. I met other wives here who did that kind of work and didn't enjoy it. They just did it because they had to. I always thought that was unfair because it's what I wanted to do, and I wasn't getting to do it.
The last time I was in a Karen village overnight was three years ago. During the first five years on the field, God really did a work in my heart. Somewhere along the way it became ok with me that we weren't in the village every weekend because I'd much rather be doing the ministry He wants us to do than out in a village every weekend doing what I want to do. When you first get to the field and you realize nothing is turning out the way you thought it would, you have a choice to make. You can either adapt and conform your desires to His desires, or you can force your own way. Thankfully, Rusty is a good spiritual leader and led our family in the right direction.
I met other friends who thought they'd be working with Thai people in the city and were working in Karen villages. It seemed everyone was going through the same kind of change. I finally decided to give in and embrace the change. I went from being a dis-satisfied person to a person who would be sad to leave the friendships and relationships that God has given us in the city. My desire should be for all men to come to repentance.
Throughout all of this time though, I learned it's better to be open to whatever God wants. We don't want to be the type of people who only follow His will when it's something we want to do. And you never know...He might just give you your desires when it's His time.
No comments:
Post a Comment