is going to affect us this time. Usually we leave Bangkok to themselves. What happens there doesn't seem to really have anything to do with the rest of us. Bangkok is the big city much like New York City or LA in the States, but there is one big difference. It seems that the majority of business and manufacturing sites are located there.
Rusty and I went to the ATM yesterday and decided to grab something to eat at KFC. I had my heart set on a zinger chicken sandwich. There were no burgers for sale at KFC, and they seemed to be out of everything except for spicy fried chicken. They were even selling Pepsi from 2 liter bottles rather than the soda fountain. I suggested we go into the Lotus store to see what was happening there.
We ran into some friends who told us we needed to go ahead and stock up on manufactured items since it all comes from Bangkok. They suggested buying personal items including toothpaste, face cream, etc. I thought that was strange, but as I looked at the empty shelves and thought about their reasoning I began to see the need as well. Of course since I still operate on having a well-stocked house rather than going to the market every day it's still a bit easier for me.
After doing a little shopping (bought some extra sugar and some canned fish for Pawn) we stopped to get ice cream at Dairy Queen They didn't have any vanilla ice cream...strange. Auntie Anne's didn't have any kiwi for their kiwi lemonade. The gas station wasn't giving away free bottled water with fill-ups. What are these places going to do with a long interruption to both production and delivery? It seems the chain restaurants are feeling it first, but the grocery shelves are starting to show signs as well.
We went to the big Sam's Club-like store to get a few household staples such as toilet paper and such. We didn't have any problems finding what we wanted although some brands were in limited supply. The strange thing is in knowing what to buy. Our friends told us about buying manufactured goods, and that seemed to be logical. But then we got home, we were reminded it's not good to put all of your eggs in one basket. Some people are taking advantage of the situation and have doubled the price of eggs. After all, some of the poultry farms have been flooded, and the chickens have died. Who would have thought of that?
All in all I bought some extra tp, flour, and a few other things it was time to buy anyway. I like to be prepared for times like these. Even if nothing ever happens, I like to know that we have enough to keep ourselves going and help others if we needed to. Of course if someone is wanting to start up a business locally, I think making hamburger buns would be a great item right now!
Rusty and I went to the ATM yesterday and decided to grab something to eat at KFC. I had my heart set on a zinger chicken sandwich. There were no burgers for sale at KFC, and they seemed to be out of everything except for spicy fried chicken. They were even selling Pepsi from 2 liter bottles rather than the soda fountain. I suggested we go into the Lotus store to see what was happening there.
We ran into some friends who told us we needed to go ahead and stock up on manufactured items since it all comes from Bangkok. They suggested buying personal items including toothpaste, face cream, etc. I thought that was strange, but as I looked at the empty shelves and thought about their reasoning I began to see the need as well. Of course since I still operate on having a well-stocked house rather than going to the market every day it's still a bit easier for me.
After doing a little shopping (bought some extra sugar and some canned fish for Pawn) we stopped to get ice cream at Dairy Queen They didn't have any vanilla ice cream...strange. Auntie Anne's didn't have any kiwi for their kiwi lemonade. The gas station wasn't giving away free bottled water with fill-ups. What are these places going to do with a long interruption to both production and delivery? It seems the chain restaurants are feeling it first, but the grocery shelves are starting to show signs as well.
We went to the big Sam's Club-like store to get a few household staples such as toilet paper and such. We didn't have any problems finding what we wanted although some brands were in limited supply. The strange thing is in knowing what to buy. Our friends told us about buying manufactured goods, and that seemed to be logical. But then we got home, we were reminded it's not good to put all of your eggs in one basket. Some people are taking advantage of the situation and have doubled the price of eggs. After all, some of the poultry farms have been flooded, and the chickens have died. Who would have thought of that?
All in all I bought some extra tp, flour, and a few other things it was time to buy anyway. I like to be prepared for times like these. Even if nothing ever happens, I like to know that we have enough to keep ourselves going and help others if we needed to. Of course if someone is wanting to start up a business locally, I think making hamburger buns would be a great item right now!
No comments:
Post a Comment