Friday, March 8, 2013

A Day In Town

 When we woke up Thursday morning, we thought we knew what we were going to do that day, but then the phone started ringing. First it was the kindergarten canceling classes for the morning. One class had a test, and the other had a program to prepare. Then about the time Rusty was going to leave for the middle/high school, the second teacher called and canceled. His afternoon class also had some kind of test scheduled. I excitedly planned to go do a little grocery shopping since it's hard for me to get time with the truck, and I don't like for Rusty to have to go do shopping on a Friday afternoon. So off we went.

We went to the post office first and were able to pay for the box rent and pick up a package. My mom's Christmas package to us took three months to get here, and there's no apparent reason for that. Then we decided we needed to get something for lunch, but we couldn't decide where to eat.

You would think in a city that probably has 1,000's of restaurants and food stands that this would be an easy task, but we don't go out to eat very often when it's just the two of us. So when we do we like for it to be someplace special. We finally decided we would get some Chiang Mai noodles with beef from a particular Muslim restaurant that a friend had taken us to. Rusty wormed his way through the narrow streets only to find that it was closed! That really threw us for a loop, and it took us way too long to decide where to eat. We finally decided on a Mexican restaurant. Rusty really prefers my homemade Mexican food, but this is my favorite place to eat restaurant Mexican food.
As you can tell the plates are huge, and the prices aren't too bad. Two plates and one bottle of water were less than $13, and I stretched my plate into three meals. That's not a bad price for Western food.
 After we ate lunch I felt like it was time to just go home and skip the big Sam's Club type store. I've been battling a cold (or something) and being out in the heat just does me in. So on the way home we passed by a sign I've been wanting to take a picture of. I'm not sure about the Yuck Cafe, but I do know it probably has a different Thai pronunciation. This is at the top of my favorite list though along with the greasy nail salon.
 I did make one final stop on the way home to pick up some salad ingredients. I'm so thankful this store is close to our house. It's a run in and run out kind of store. I don't always want to fight the crowds of the superstores, and this store is just fun to shop. However, they've added a lot of shops around creating a three story shopping plaza that has really messed up the parking situation. We were blessed to get a space, but when I came out there were three cars in a line parked behind us. No problem...the man pushes the car out of the way, and the wife helps out by placing a brick under the back tire. There's a reason behind that brick sitting in the parking lot.
Then it was home to open the Christmas box! There were Christmas ornaments, a new movie to watch, and candy!!! We already got into the Ghirardelli chocolate. Rusty and I split the pumpkin spice caramel square. It was yummy!!!

1 comment:

Holtster said...

Mexican food in Thailand wow. Food would have lasted me a few days too. I can agree on the parking they just cram everything together. Sent gifts in December arrive in March just the way I planed it-:).