Thursday, August 25, 2016

The Big 4 0

So I turned 40 this year. I know--it's hard to believe. My kids are shocked when I tell them how old I am since I'm now older than most of their parents. At least I had a good birthday; it made crossing the big 4 0 a bit easier.

I started off the celebration on Saturday night in a very hot kitchen. This cake with melting frosting is a chocolate cake filled with a peanut butter cheesecake layer topped with a chocolate ganache. It tasted good, but after living over here for ten years it was a bit rich for our tastes.
At church I share my birthday with two others. I don't think any of us are the exact same age although that answer can change from year to year. I'm sure the teenager is not the same age, but I thought the lady was turning 40 like me. This year she told me she is 41. I can't keep up with Thai ages.
For lunch I treated for KFC. We have a new one close to the house, but I was disappointed with the service. Here they serve on paper rather than actual dishes, and it was not very clean for a new restaurant. I'm sure part of that is how busy they are.
After lunch Rusty took me to the flower market to buy some flowers. Technically these weren't birthday flowers but were flowers for sweetheart's day. We have just been in a drought for so long we didn't want to try to keep new flowers alive.
I was able to pick up a couple of hydrangeas and some more West Indian Jasmine to finish out a pattern I have going outside our fence.
While Esteban and Pawn went to the Sunday night market, Rusty took me a to an Italian restaurant. Anytime there are table cloths and cloth napkins it's a special occasion! We shared a lovely salad that was topped with feta cheese and sun-dried tomatoes and a sea bass plate that had a side of spinach. All in all it was a great birthday that included a special birthday present of a great circulon skillet for cooking breakfast. Rusty wins and so do I.

No comments: