Thursday, August 25, 2016

Who's Ever Heard of a Jungle Bakery?

It seems when someone starts telling us about something here, everyone tells us about it. It becomes common conversation until we get to check it out for ourselves. Of course we have to string quite a few pieces together before we understand that all of the conversations are about the same thing.

Our students give us a lot of food gifts for teaching them. We get a lot of eggs, fruit, and vegetables, and we also get a lot of stuff that isn't good for us. One really good thing has been these wonderful croissants my neighbor brought me. Her husband said he heard they were the best in town, and they had to go and find the bakery. I'm glad she thought of bringing some for us to enjoy.

Then another friend called and told us about a jungle bakery market held every Saturday morning. We would have to go early, but there would be free coffee. Free coffee! Those are magic words to get me up and out of the house early Saturday morning.

By the time we had finalized our plans I didn't know if I would end up with any bread or not. I read on the internet that in order to get some you needed to be there before 7, but our friend didn't want to go that early. We were just going to be with her so we let her set the time.
We arrived shortly before 8 and got our queue tickets. They start with A, and each letter has fifty numbers. We were E21-23!
 After you get your queue card, you can mill around the other booths that are set up. They have fresh squeezed organic orange juice, homemade yogurt, organic milk, sausages, and other treats to try. I really enjoyed listening to the farang try to explain to the Thai customers what lemon curd is. Neither side gave up, and I think they achieved success.
 We were moving closer, and we could finally see the hut where the bakery is set up.
 Finally! It was so hard to choose; I finally settled on a sourdough baguette, a loaf of rosemary bread, a couple of ham and cheese croissants for breakfast, and a spinach and mushroom quiche. Everything was great!
After you make it through the bakery, you will find the small cups of free coffee. At least they don't limit you to one! Then you can sit and chat with others who come. Everyone really goes for the atmosphere and the excitement of going to a bakery in the jungle. There's no need to run in, make your purchases, and then leave. You might go to the bakery shops and pay the same exact price as you do in the jungle, but what would be the fun in that?
P' Nung has a work project for Rusty now. She wants one of these contraptions for her guesthouse guests to use to make their own smoothies. We already have the old bicycle sitting under our carport.

All of the bread is from the same bakery, but one friend only buys it from the jungle. The other friend only goes to the shop. One loves the atmosphere of the jungle market while the other doesn't display any interest in going to a small market with 200 other people. I'm somewhere in the middle. I enjoyed going to the early market, but stopping at the bakery shop seems more convenient. Plus they bake fresh baguettes three times a day!

No comments: