Sunday, March 15, 2009

English Camp

We had a wonderful week last week. We finally got to teach at a school about an hour north of our city. It was definitely a spiritual battle to get there let alone finish the whole week of teaching. When we called to confirm our appointment the teacher said she wanted us to come for a whole week. Of course it's a nice break for the teachers, but it's also a good opportunity for us. We ended up teaching 4 days as the kids had an outing for their last day of school. The students and teachers all wanted us to go to the party with them, but we couldn't as we had to get ready for Rusty to leave on Saturday for the Isaan region. We were disappointed but look forward to spending more time with the kids in the future if God opens that door. We each taught 4 hours a day. I mainly taught grades 4 - 6, and Rusty taught 1 - 3. I guess we know our strengths. Rusty really knows how to have fun with the little kids. :) There were about 180 kids in this school grades 1 - 6. We taught some classes twice in one day so it probably equaled out to 5 days worth of teaching with each grade.


I loved my 4th grade class. On the last day of class they each presented me with a flower. They cheered each day when they found out we were coming back. They really know how to get to a teacher's heart. More importantly God really opened up a neat opportunity for me with this class. When I walked in on Friday morning, someone had written a little verse in English. One boy pointed it out to me, I read it, and thanked them for doing that. At the end of the day when I was finishing up with the kids, they asked me to translate it into Thai for them. They didn't know what it said. So I told them that God created everything on this earth. He created man and woman, and husband and wife. He created couples. Most importantly He sent His Son to the earth for everyone because He loves everyone. That was what the board said. So then the kids asked me about Jesus coming to the earth and what on the cross translated to. It was a small seed planted, but I was very excited about God's open door. Of course the school knows we are Christian, but we were still wondering how God was going to allow us to start planting seeds. Rusty also left a book for their library which hopefully they will add.
As you can tell Rusty's class loved him too. They really had fun on Thursday and wanted to continue studying even through lunch. Thankfully that was the class he taught two times on Thursday. If they're going to have to study English twice, it's better that they enjoy it!
This class didn't quite get the activity, but we had fun trying anyway. One thing I need to remember, they mimic everything you do, and they'll repeat everything you say. If you ask them a question, they might just ask it right back to you instead of answering!
I think Rusty always has fun in his classes. What do you think?

No comments: