Monday, March 23, 2009
Rusty's Teaching Trip
As most of you know Rusty and I are apart once again, but it's for a good cause. He went on another two-week trip to the Isaan region of Thailand to teach English. He has been there before, but this is the first time he has returned since our return to Thailand in January. I've never really shared about his trips before so I thought I'd show you a glimpse of his life over there. I'm looking forward to visiting hopefully this summer.
This is the house the local government is providing for Rusty while he is here. It's a house sitting behind a local clinic. They use this house as storage and for cooking meals in, but now it has 2 inhabitants. I think they were really nervous about Rusty staying in it, but it's fine. He has a fan, and that's been helpful at night.
Rusty's classes are always well attended even though the students volunteer to come. When they called him before he left the city, they told him some of the returning students were worried he was just going to pick up where he left off last time with no time to review. So Rusty went prepared to spend some time reviewing. Of course the students could remember much more than they thought they could.
Rusty had the opportunity to go on a picnic with one of his classes. The students met him at 7:30 Saturday morning for a 2 mile hike. Then the parents got busy getting the food ready. The fathers went fishing. Rusty declined the invitation to fish as he would have had to wade out in the water, but he had a good time watching.
Rusty was very full by the time the fish was finished, but he ate it anyway. No way was he going to turn it down after they worked so hard to catch it. You can see in the picture the interesting way they grilled it. They rubbed it down with salt, and there you have it. He also ate 2 fat chicken legs that the English teacher brought especially for him. I guess they know we farangs like to eat meat.
The kids really enjoyed it. It's really a great opporunity as Rusty gets to live among the people, and they always plan field trips so that Rusty spends time with the students outside of class. This time was extra special because he was able to meet many of the parents also. They really like to spend time with him because many of them don't get to see farangs so that they can practice everything they are learning.
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
No comments:
Post a Comment