The second commandment that Jesus mentioned keeps us going out the door, but if we weren't working on the first commandment, there's no way we could do the second one. Paul wrote:
Even though I am a free man with no master, I have become a slave to all people to bring many to Christ. When I was with the Jews, I lived like a Jew to bring the Jews to Christ. When I was with those who follow the Jewish law, I too lived under that law. Even though I am not subject to the law, I did this so I could bring to Christ those who are under the law. When I am with the Gentiles who do not follow the Jewish law, I too live apart from that law so I can bring them to Christ. But I do not ignore the law of God; I obey the law of Christ.
When I am with those who are weak, I share their weakness, for I want to bring the weak to Christ. Yes, I try to find common ground with everyone, doing everything I can to save some. I do everything to spread the Good News and share in its blessings.
It seems that the real work started when we actually moved to the field. Then it became time to put into practice all of the things that we had been learning and dreaming about doing. Of course reality also set in...it's a daily decision (sometimes hourly) to love your neighbors as yourself. It's what makes you get ready in 15 minutes to go spend the afternoon shopping with a friend whose husband just left the country for his job. It's what keeps you putting effort into designing English lessons so that you can have an opportunity to share Jesus with both the students and teachers. It's also what keeps you working hard so that you're a good witness in front of your neighbors for doing a job well done.
It's what compels you to open up your house to students in the neighborhood for English classes and then see them come to church and other outreach events. It's what compels you to get out of your comfort zone to love and embrace people as your friends and your family as you serve them. It's what compels you to think of their needs more than your own. It's what keeps you on the field when you're starting to feel the pain from being separated from family for so long. It's what makes you think of your new home as your home--sharing life with your new family and friends. It's what compels you to think of your new home as your home because you know that that means acceptance to the people who are around you.
Most importantly, it's what compels you to have patience with your neighbors as you realize that as in our case most of the people we try to build relationships with are dying and on their way to Hell. After all, we're here because we want to see people have personal relationships with Jesus Christ and to see churches started. Without those goals I'm not sure you could really call it love.
Unfortunately, we don't always make the right decision and show love. I know I've made the wrong decisions at times, and thankfully my friends have been understanding. Sometimes I wonder how they can put up with me, but maybe it's because they're practicing the same principles I'm trying to practice. We're trying to love each other and be good examples to the lost who are around us.
If we don't love them, who will? They're not going to receive love and hope from the world; it only comes through Jesus Christ, and that's why we're here.
No comments:
Post a Comment