Thursday, August 23, 2007

18 months 1 day and counting

We have officially passed the 18 month mark here! The missionary training that we received suggests a first-term of a minimum of 18 months, and we've made it! Of course we're not leaving for furlough yet, but it feels good to have made it this far.

Our first term has been extremely tough in some ways. It is harder than I could have imagined to be away from family...especially when my dad is battling prostate cancer, Rusty's dad is experiencing heart problems again, and our moms have lots of responsibilities with taking care of their husbands and themselves. Our other family members go through ups and downs, and sometimes we feel like we miss out on a lot. It's hard to share in everything when we're so far away. Learning a new language is hard work, and for me it is even harder to actually have the nerve to use it.

BUT GOD...I love those words so much. He has taken care of us, and He has made these past 18 months better than I could have imagined. Most people feel sorry for us, and they think that the past 18 months must have been terrible for us. And I admit, when I take my eyes off of what God is doing, it does seem pretty dismal at times. But God has taken everything and used it to grow both of us. I know the peace that comes with being in the center of His will...why would I want to go anywhere outside of that and have to face all of the obstacles of not being in His will. So as long as I stay focused on what my Father is doing in us here, I'll be ok.

No comments: