Wednesday, April 7, 2010

It's hot, hot, hot!

I ran errands in the city today. That's right...the temps are above 100, and I had to get out and run errands today.

I went to pay for our truck insurance, but I didn't go to the ATM first. So I parked in front of the office and took off to find an ATM. I found one, paid for my insurance, and then headed back into the busy lunchtime traffic at the moat. The truck died on me in motion; I figured it was because of the low fuel level. Rusty says this should not happen, but it's happened two times already. I stopped at a Shell station and fueled up, and I needed another ATM machine so I could go pay the truck taxes. Unbelievably there was no ATM at the gas station...that seemed impossible to me as Thailand is usually so convenient! I didn't pass another ATM on the way to the vehicle department so I parked hoping there would be one inside. There wasn't so I started off on foot again. I knew if I pulled out of the parking lot, traffic would be bad, and I would have to make two u-turns to get back to the vehicle department. I walked about half a kilo and started into the parking lot of one of the grocery stores...I knew I could find plenty of ATMs in there. As I started up an older lady passed me on a motorbike, and I noticed she looked at me. As I caught up to her she started talking to me. She offered me a ride on the back of her motorbike. I declined as I didn't have that much farther to go, but she asked again. She said it was too hot, and she didn't have to drive me that far--it was no problem. Again I declined as I have only ridden on the back of a motorcycle one time, and I've never ridden side-saddle. I was wearing a skirt, and that was my only option. She insisted again so I felt obligated and hopped on. If they tell you three times, they're serious. :)This is not me in the picture, but this is probably what we looked like. :) I'm sure it was quite the sight! I just kept praying that my inexperience at riding a motorbike didn't injure this sweet person who didn't want me having to walk in the heat. I grabbed onto her shoulder at one point, and then pulled it away. She said it was no problem I could hold on to her. She dropped me off at the door, and I went into the a/c. I found an ATM and bought a drink at KFC to prepare for my half kilo walk back. I'm thankful for that sweet old lady...God's blessings are the best and make the best stories too! :)

On the way home I stopped at the pharmacy for some medicine. I like going in and talking to her. Her shop is close to the house, and she loves to speak English. That could mean it's very time consuming to go in there. When I first started having my back trouble a few years ago, Rusty went there to see what she recommended for me (which turned out to be exactly what I got at the hospital only nicer). The only problem Rusty was held "captive" in her store talking. He finally snuck out behind some other foreigners because he really wanted to get the medicine home to me.

I also stopped to get a couple of coffees for Rusty and me. I had to find a new coffee shop as my favorite one at the market closed. :( Pawn found a new one for me, and the guy is really friendly too. We discussed the weather and what I was out and about doing since it was so hot. He let me know his mom was not feeling well--I think he said it's because of the weather. So I will pray for her and ask about her the next time I go.

That's all for today. Tomorrow we'll be having a water party with our English class. I think it will be a lot of fun and refreshing in this heat.

2 comments:

bt said...

That's a great story...does it make you want to get a motorcycle now?

MissionSEA said...

I did tell him I at least needed to know how to drive one and ride on the back of one. If there was ever an emergency I don't think I could do it for any length of time.