Friday, February 27, 2009

Three Years and Counting

Arriving in Thailand
Wow! It's hard to believe that we celebrated 3 years on the field this past week. What a 3 years it has been! That was typed with a smile on my face by the way. When we arrived in Thailand, we felt very tired for one thing. We didn't know back then to stick with Thai Airways if you want to get somewhere on time. So we sat with our luggage in Bangkok in the ticketing area waiting and waiting and waiting. Do you know how hard that is when Burger King is past security? Our flight was delayed for 4 hours, and you couldn't check in until 2 hours before departure.

I remember when we first came, all of the food tasted strange. It wasn't that I didn't like it, it was just different from anything I had ever tasted. Now I love the first meal I ate here...spicy green papaya salad...yummy! Back then the food and the language easily overwhelmed me...so much change at one time!

I have learned that Thai fruit is way better than the fruit we get in the States but that you can get too much fresh pineapple. I still love Thai pineapple but only buy it when we're having company. Otherwise...I eat a few pieces and I'm tired of it.

I have learned it's fun to try new things from the market. We need to get back in the habit of going and trying something new each time we go. It's much more fun that way.

I have learned that we don't have to worry about traveling around here. When we had to do border runs during our first year, Rusty often offered to go up and spend the night at a "resort" and shop and have fun. I always turned him down. Now I've learned...take those opportunities when you can. : ) It's nice to get out of the city and expand your Thai vocabulary and force yourself to speak.

I have learned to be very thankful for appliances. Do you know how much time I save by being blessed with a washing machine? I thought about that this morning as I was hanging out my last load for today. If I had to wash everything by hand, I'm not sure I would ever finish! And think about keeping up with our families...we are so blessed with computers, hi-speed internet, Skype, and the list goes on.

I've also learned that God's going to provide and spoil me rotten. He has done so much in the last 3 years, and I can't wait to see what He's going to do. He never puts on us more than we can handle through His help. I feel very special that He chooses to have me here. He could have called other people...and maybe He did...but He wants me here. How cool is that?

No comments: