Monday, January 17, 2011

Cooking and Eating

After we opened the presents it was time to spend some time together cooking and then eating. Here's what was made...
We had to make the marshmallows for the sweet potatoes. It can be a messy job coating all of them in the powdered sugar, but Hope kept the mess to a minimum.Pawn's grilled pork has become our standard holiday fare for the main meat dish. We had to increase the amount of pork for this Christmas because we wanted to have some left over. I think she likes it that we enjoy it so much. Turkeys are rather expensive here--about $5.83 per kilo at the current exchange rate. If I ever start craving one I might shell out the money, but until then I'll keep enjoying the grilled pork.
When I found sweet potatoes at the market this year I was buying them 2 kilos at a time every time I saw them. I only have the purple ones left in my freezer. I had trouble finding them at Christmastime the first year we were here so now I buy early, cook, and then freeze.
The grilled pork was excellent as usual!
We also had green beans from Pawn's garden. I think these turned out better than my green bean casserole at Thanksgiving.
Hope's rolls were a nice addition to the feast.
We finished off the meal with some corn with zucchini and the chicken and dressing. I guess the proper pronunciation of that would be chicken 'n dressin'. :)
Let's eat and watch Rusty's new Christmas Carol DVD!

No comments: