Wednesday, March 16, 2011

Going Away for Summer Break

Hope's ESL class wanted to have a going away party for her. With the help of Ms. Nung they planned to have a Thai BBQ. As a person who likes to have everything planned, I was worried about having enough food for everyone. I knew the students were supposed to bring either meat or vegetables, but I worried that we'd end up with a lot of veggies and not enough meat. Pawn told me not to worry that we'd just adapt if we didn't have enough. You would think that since we've lived her for five years now I would know that everything seems to work out. There's no need to worry.

Early Monday afternoon we headed out to our local buy in bulk store to get some supplies. I felt bad that since this is such a community-oriented culture that I wasn't really prepared for an event like this. We went and bought a bunch of plastic bowls for the soup and dipping sauces, chopsticks, spoons, plastic cups, meat, vegetables, and dipping sauces. We were well prepared. We ended up with a lot of cabbage, but I cooked the rest of that today (Wednesday).

For a Thai BBQ several people sit around a small grill. You cook thin slices of meat around the dome and make the soup in the trough that runs around it.I think we had three grills going. We almost needed another one, but the moms liked to stick close to each other and their children.

We had all grown-ups at our grill. This is Gam's mom. Gam is the one who has been going to church with us and spending the night with Pawn. She really enjoys talking to Pawn.
Ms. Nung's husband was able to be with us also. He works in Cambodia and doesn't spend much time here. It was a special occasion to be able to spend some time getting to know him.

Having 19 children and adults was not that bad, and I will definitely feel more comfortable doing it next time. The kids really enjoyed it as well.

No comments: