Thursday, March 10, 2011

Neighborhood ESL Class

I recently got the opportunity to teach Hope's neighborhood ESL class while she was busy with finals. We had a lot of fun, and they are a great group of students!

They had originally asked Hope if they could take the week off since they were going to be testing at their schools also. We thought there would be only two students so I told them they could come on over and we would play some games like we do with Gam when she spends the weekend with us. Then everyone volunteered to study! We had 8 or 9 students every night, and they did a great job.
The first night we played a game of Uno because I really wasn't sure how many students I would have. It's not so bad for practicing color and numbers.
The next time we increased the use of English by playing Go Fish. We had to practice do you have questions and also polite sayings such as thank you and you're welcome.
The final two nights were spent working on practicing the verb to have and body parts. We created monsters and then described them to the class.

After we finished describing the drawn monsters, we watched a clip of Monsters, Inc. and described the monsters in it. The kids really liked having a movie clip as part of their lesson.

I'll be teaching this class while Hope is in the States during her school break. I'm really looking forward to working with such a good group of students. All of our students are a joy to work with, but sometimes it's nice to have a smaller group so that you can really build a relationship with each student.

No comments: