Saturday, October 10, 2009

Missin' the State Fair of Texas

I like keeping up with my friends in America on Facebook, but sometimes it makes me miss the place I grew up. I have a friend in Arkansas who recently posted about visiting the State Fair of Texas which actually made me miss the fair! That's pretty interesting considering I hated going to the fair as a kid. I didn't ride the rides, and I never felt like I really had anyone to hang around with there. My last year to go to the fair my dad went with me. He didn't ride rides either, and he was happy looking at the new car models. I really, really dreamed of one day owning a convertible back then so I had to sit in all of them to find out which one suited me the best. He also walked all around with me looking for a particular food that was new that year. Ahh...good memories.
Back to Facebook...when I was reading about the State Fair I actually started craving corny dogs. I didn't have any foot long hot dogs here, but I figured we could cook up something tasty anyway. Google is a wonderful tool. You can find all sorts of things through google; I found out how to make homemade corny dogs--easy!Apparently one secret is coating the hot dogs in flour before you dip them in the cornmeal mixture. That way the batter doesn't slide off of the dogs. Then you dip them in the batter and add them to the oil.

We didn't think they were going to turn out the normal shape for corny dogs, but they did. They fried up nicely, and we were ready to eat!
Rusty only complained that I didn't make enough. He still wanted popcorn after all was said and done. We watched Gus which is an old Disney movie with Don Knotts, but we probably should have put in State Fair which is a Rodger's and Hammerstein musical. It would have gone along with my State Fair theme.

3 comments:

bt said...

they really look good!!! you will have to make them for Christmas.

Anonymous said...

Hi, long time no see. Bro. Patterson sent us you Blog. It was so exciting to see all the pictures and see how God is working through you guys there. The games were really neat for your memory work. Quite different than to ones we used in Discovery at Landmark. Keep up the good work and may He continue to bless you and the work there. Kayec Payne

MissionSEA said...

Hi there! Thanks so much for commenting. We have been thinking about you guys lately. Rusty was in the States at the national messenger meeting this summer, and we saw you guys in Bro. Alejandro's video. Are you guys living there now?