We went early this morning to do some grocery shopping. I guess I was feeling adventurous today as I wanted to buy some things that we hadn't tried here. I found some really great looking doughnuts that reminded me of something I used to eat as a child (my family probably remembers Eagle puffs at the hometown football games). So I got a bag and picked out 4 pieces and handed them to the man to price for me. I wasn't sure about the process so when he had a discussion about my purchase with the other salesperson I was feeling uneasy. Perhaps he's laughing because I'm a farang...or something else. I walked on uncomfortably because I still get uncomfortable when I don't know what I have done wrong. :) A kind young lady followed me and told me about my mistake. The sign (that I had not bothered to read) had said that I could buy 9 pieces for 22 Baht. Because I had gotten only 4 pieces, I was being charged 28 Baht. I was so thankful to this nice lady who went out of her way to help me. And she even spoke English to us! It was such a blessing. So I went back to the salesman and got my extra 5 pieces. He was surprised to know that I do speak Thai. I guess the lesson is...when I knew something was going I should have spoken up!
After this we were asked by another Thai lady where she could find tangerines. That made me feel a little bit better. We may not know how to buy all of the Thai things, but people expect us to know about the imported items! Haha!
On our way out we passed a grilled German sausage stand that I had been wanting to try. They wrap hot dogs or sausage with a piece of bacon and grill them. This reminded me of something my grandmother used to make for me. This was as close to the real thing as I'm going to find here. It was great!
No comments:
Post a Comment