Thursday, September 27, 2007

Just call me Susan

I've always liked my given name, but there have been times in my life when I've wondered why I don't have a nickname. My oldest brother called me Susie sometimes, but normally people just call me Susan. When we came to Thailand, I was happy to know that my name translated over into Thai smoothly, and it's easy for Thai people to say. There's nothing unusual about the name Susan. Tawm changed Rusty's name to the word for a rusty person in Thai, and Rusty likes it better. In Thai many times "r' is changed to "l." Rusty doesn't like to be called Lusty. :) So people giggle when he says his nickname, but he likes it. At the market I am called Madame. That always makes me feel funny but not as funny as when they call me Sir on the telephone. Haha!

1 comment:

Holtster said...

People I know have always had a nickname for me and they have all been different=-).