Unfortunately it was at the hospital this time. I have done something to my back AGAIN! After being pain free for two whole days (and even without medicine at night), I started experiencing the bad pains again on Thursday. I don't know what I did...except I started sneezing and coughing. Before that I had only experienced pain in the early mornings, and I thought I was mending nicely.
Well, Saturday morning I had had enough. Most of your know I don't like seeing the doctor, but I knew I needed some relief. Rusty gave me the pick of hospitals in town, and I picked the one that most farangs use. Plus I knew they had many specialists there. So we went downtown in the crazy Saturday traffic and began the wait. By the time we got there, I was in tears. They got me checked in and offered to move me up on the waiting list to see the doctor. I didn't feel right bumping myself up because I didn't know how much pain everyone else was in. Since I ended up being the last person in the waiting room to get to see a doctor I think I'll do things differently next time.
The doctor was very nice. He had studied orthopedics for two years in America, and he was very encouraging to me. But he did say some things that made me chuckle. Did you know that I am tilted? Of course I haven't always been, but this back problem has made me a crooked woman. Then as he was trying to reassure me that the pain was going to go away, he told me these things just happen as we get older. Wait a minute! Didn't he look at my chart??? Just because I'm 31 doesn't mean that I'm getting older. My brain tells me that I'm too young for these types of problems, but unfortunately my body agrees with the doctor. He told me when I'm feeling better again a day after taking medicine that does not mean I'm better. I'm supposed to take care of myself for 2 - 3 weeks...until I'm really all better. 9 out of 10 cases are successfully treated with just medication. I'll take care of myself...plus I want to get on that plane in November!
You may be wondering how it was such a good deal. Here's a breakdown on my Saturday morning hospital visit. Doctor outpatient consultation - 200B Hospital charges - 50B Nurses service - 50B 10 day supply of meds - 523B (I could have saved half of that if I had gone to a pharmacy outside of the hospital) Total cost: 823 B or roughly $25.00. If I'm not better in a week I'll probably find out how much x-rays and such cost too. Thanks for praying for me! I need it!
2 comments:
Hey Susan, sorry to hear about your back hurting. I have also had severe back pain. My doctor in Houston told me it was an inflamed lower tail bone. She told me to use motrin. So far that works pretty well. Waiting in the waiting room can be very long and very boreing. I try to make sure that everytime I visit the doctor's office I bring a book to read or a puzzle to do. My new puzzle choice has been Sudoku. Have you tried them yet? I really like them. I guess that math teacher in me really likes fooling around with the numbers. Make sure you take your medicine long enough to fully ease up your pain. We want you ready and pain free to ride on the airplane.
Take care - Lois Holt
I guess all that heavy lifting is going to have to stop=-).
Post a Comment